Oakland Museum of California Announces 14th Annual Summer Reading Celebration with Oakland Public Library
(OAKLAND, CA) July 30, 2018—The Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) presents the 14th Annual Summer Reading Celebration “Explore, Connect, & Grow” on Sunday, August 5 from 11 am to 3 pm. Held in partnership with the Oakland Public Library, families are invited to enjoy a full afternoon of fun filled activities, including a meet and greet and photo op with special guest Clifford the Big Red Dog.
Held in the Museum’s Gardens, kids will enjoy a range of events, including Hip-Hop dance performances and demonstrations by TURFinc in celebration of special exhibition RESPECT: Hip-Hop Style & Wisdom, closing August 12. TURFinc is an Oakland dance company that uses the powerful and unique dance style of TURF as a positive platform for dancers, youth, and community.
Families can also enjoy playing chess on a giant chess board, a bounce house, face painting, and more from Oakland Parks & Recreation, as well as story time with the Oakland Public Library and caricature drawing with Rad Sanza.
The schedule of events for the day includes:
11 am–3 pm
- Make a Summer Reading button
- Make a plantable seed bomb inspired by special exhibition Take Root: Oakland Grows Food
- Enjoy face painting, games, and treats provided by the City of Oakland Office of Parks & Recreation
- Play a game with the California Historical Society titled Exquisite Mural, including a mural drawing party
- Pick up a free book
11 am–2:30 pm:
- Caricature drawing with Rad Sanza
11:30 am & 1:45 pm:
- Meet & greet with Clifford the Big Red Dog
- TURFInc performances and dance battle
- Storytime with a Children’s Librarian from the Oakland Public Library
There is an additional $4 charge for special exhibition : Hip-Hop Style & Wisdom. No advance online tickets are available for First Sundays. Your contribution helps us provide access to other visitors in the community.
The Summer Reading Celebration is
The Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) is committed to being a welcoming and lively place for multi-generational Bay Area families to visit, learn, and engage through, with art activities, storytelling, and hands-on, drop-in projects throughout the Museum. OMCA’s other family-friendly offerings include free available at ticketing desks, available for check-out anytime the Museum is open, and three : Lunar New Year in February, the Summer Reading Celebration in August with the Oakland Public Library, and the Days of the Dead Celebration in October.
ABOUT THE OAKLAND MUSEUM OF CALIFORNIA