Donating or Selling Objects to the Museum
Thank you for your interest in donating or selling items to Oakland Museum of California’s permanent collection. Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) collects art, history, and natural sciences objects related to California.
In order to consider your donation of artwork(s), artifact(s) or specimen(s), OMCA requires interested parties to submit a written proposal to be considered by our curatorial and collections staff.
Please note, proposals for gifts that would qualify for the 2015 year-end tax deduction needed to be received by December 1, 2015.
What to include in a proposal:
In order for Museum staff to consider the object, please submit the following information in your proposal:
- Whether you are offering a donation or sale. If the item is for sale, provide price and any conditions or terms.
- Connections to California are essential, so please be sure to state them.
- Information about the object such as: a general description; the name of artist or manufacturer (if known); dimensions; date made; history of how it was made or used; and, any other details you can provide.
- Good pictures. Visual documentation is also important to the process, in particular to help assess condition.
- How you came to own the object. Please also include any formal documentation of ownership.
Once we receive your complete proposal, OMCA staff will carefully consider your offer, and make a decision based on criteria such as its relevance to the OMCA mission, how well it fits with plans for the OMCA Collection, whether it is in good condition, and whether we can adequately care for it in the future. Not all donation or sale offers can be accepted.
We respond to proposals on a first come, first served basis. However, depending on the unique considerations of each proposal, it can take anywhere from one month to six months for us to respond.
Please do not bring objects to the Museum. We will be in touch if we need to view the item(s) in person. Note that we cannot offer appraisals nor can we recommend appraisers. For these questions, please visit the American Society of Appraisers website or call ASA at 800-272-8258.
Mail proposals to:
Oakland Museum of California Attention:
OMCA Lab, Acquisitions Committee
1000 Oak Street, Oakland, CA 94607
Or submit via email to: email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in supporting the Oakland Museum of California.