Sometimes, it seems like we don’t really know our dads. It can be hard to tell what they really like, or to get them something more interesting than another pair of socks or gift card. But we think it’s just a matter of finding out what they like to do when they’re NOT being Dad!
Check out our list below for suggestions of fun things to do with and for Dad based on his superhero alter ego:
He lives a double life as a Secret Comics Nerd.
- Visit new exhibition Sunshine & Superheroes: San Diego Comic-Con, and have him pose for a selfie as Batman, Superman, or another fan favorite.
- Enjoy graphic novel art by Adrian Tomine, or make your own comic book zine together in the exhibition SuperAwesome: Art and Giant Robot.
He’s a Musical Mastermind.
- Lounge in Vinyl: The Sound and Culture of Records where he can revisit his favorite albums while the rest of the family can learn to DJ or play records from the curated crates.
- Pop into the Gallery of California History, where a jukebox plays classic oldies and you can get into the swing of things on a dance floor.
He’s a combination Gaming Geek/Car Customization Czar.
- Challenge him to a game in the Giant Robot Scion XB artcar, turned into a retro, Famicon-inspired gaming system, complete with headlight projectors and sound, in the exhibition SuperAwesome: Art and Giant Robot.
- Admire the sleek custom design of the Harley Davidson in the Gallery of California Art.
He’s Captain Planet for the 21st century.
- Start your morning with a Bike Tour of Oakland led by an OMCA Docent.
- Grab a delicious brunch at Blue Oak café, featuring seasonal local ingredients and table service.
- Invite your dad into the Gallery of California Natural Sciences, where you can check out the roadkill exhibit and learn more about how what we do impacts the environment.
He’s a Dapper Daredevil with an eye for design.
- Stop by the OMCA Store and pick up something sleek and cool for him, like a new Taki watch or desk accessories featuring the Pantone color of the year.
- Visit the California Creativity section in the Gallery of California Art and view great design innovations like a classic Eames chair.
- Take him on a Tour with the Council on Architecture and learn about OMCA’s mid-century modernist building.
He’s Chief of California with lots of love for his home state.
- Bring your dad to the Gallery of California History, and have him tell you a story about a major life event of his own, then add it to the timeline wall.
- Get him a California history book, or a cool t-shirt featuring a grizzly bear in the OMCA Store so he can show his pride.
- As a California fan, he’ll love his own OMCA Membership, which gives him access to a full year of exhibitions and events at the Museum—and he can always bring a guest, which means more quality time for you and him. Order a gift membership before 5pm on June 10 for home delivery in time for Father's Day, or pick up a gift-ready package at the ticketing desk during open hours.