Gold Districts of California
Camptonville, in northeast Yuba County and western Sierra County, adjoins the Pike
district on the east. Rich gold discoveries were made here in 1850-51. The town was named
in 1854 for Robert Campton, the local blacksmith. The Pelton wheel, long used in mining
machinery and electric generators, was invented here by Lester Pelton. The old town is now
a tourist attraction. A number of moderate-sized deposits of Tertiary channel gravel were
mined by hydraulicking. These include the deposits at Young's Hill, Weed's Point, and
Galena Hill. They are part of the Tertiary Yuba River that extended southwest from Indian
Hill to this district and then to North San Juan. Bedrock is amphibolite, slate,
greenstone, and granodiorite.
Excerpt from: Gold Districts of California, by: W.B. Clark, California
Department of Conservation, Division of Mines and Geology, Bulletin 193, 1970.
Return to Other Gold Districts