30 to 45 minutes
Materials and Preparation:
Make class set of "California Gold Production" chart
One sheet of chart paper, butcher paper or tagboard.
To compare gold production and number of miners over time
- Students will compare information on "California Gold Production" chart.
- Students will participate in class discussion.
- Students will write a summary regarding gold production in California over
Vocabulary: production, value
1. Pass out "California Gold Production" chart (Resource 9-1) to each student.
2. In pairs, have students refer to the chart and compare information
regarding number of miners, amount of gold mined and value of gold per
3. Facilitate a class discussion of comparisons and inferences that
students make. Record information on class chart.
Have students write a paragraph regarding gold production in California
over time in their Investigation Casebooks. A writing prompt may be given
What can we infer about gold mining in California?
Have students make a list of things they would like to buy according
to today's prices and calculate how much gold they would need to make a
purchase according to gold prices then (1848) and now (1998).