SuperAwesome Salon: Zines & Print Culture
Explore edgy and emerging cultural intersections in this exclusive salon series during Friday Nights @ OMCA. Explore a mashup of culture presented in spring exhibitions SuperAwesome: Art and Giant Robot and Vinyl: The Sound and Culture of Records. In these salons, art, music, food, and film all mix to bring you a sensory experience where you can share, talk, taste, and listen to your heart’s content.
- Pick up some rad new reads from a selection of Bay Area zinesters at the zine bazaar organized with Oakland collective Rock Paper Scissors: Teppei Ando, Artspace, The Blunt Letters, John Casey and Jon Carling, Ryan De La Hoz, Endless Canvas, Hip Mama, Nia King, People of Color Zines, RAD DAD, Rock Paper Scissors Collective, Sidewalk Empire, Sonatina Comics, Tiny Splendor, Totally Radical Muslims, Raphael Villet, Warrior Women Zine Collective, and Wuvable Oaf;
- Meet and greet special guests, including Giant Robot visionary and Guest Curator Eric Nakamura signing copies of exhibition publication SuperAwesome: Art and Giant Robot, alongside exhibiting artists Ray Potes of Hamburger Eyes and Deth P. Sun at the zine bazaar;
- Check out the live screen-printing demo led by artists from Rock Paper Scissors and take home your own poster;
- Rock out with up-and-coming live band Hot Einstein playing rock with influences from vintage Bowie to King Curtis, Nina Simone to Led Zeppelin in the 10th Street Amphitheater;
- Groove to DJ Nihar Bhatt of the Surface Tension Collective, spinning a variety of genres including house, techno, hip-hop, synth pop, and other sounds;
- Become your own best bartender in a mixology class with SF Mixology, including a theatrical overview of bartending throughout the ages, cocktail trends, prohibition, and its after-effects; cocktail tastings, and instructions on how to move, pour, shake, and strain like a professional bartender;
- Play at gaming stations brought to you by Oakland's own Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment (The MADE);
- Create a three-inch sticky note masterpiece, inspired by Giant Robot's popular annual Post It Show, with featured Post-It artist Dave Warnke;
- And more... stay tuned to this page for updates as SuperAwesome Salon elements are added!
Included with Museum admission.
Don't miss out on OMCA's upcoming SuperAwesome Salon during Friday Nights @ OMCA:
SuperAwesome Salon: Anime & Manga
Friday, July 25, 2014, 7–9 pm