SuperAwesome Salon: Film
Explore edgy and emerging cultural intersections in the first installment of an exclusive salon series during Friday Nights @ OMCA! Inspired by OMCA’s upcoming spring exhibitions SuperAwesome: Art and Giant Robot and Vinyl: The Sound and Culture of Records, opening on April 19, in these salons, art, music, food, and film all mix to bring you a sensory experience where you can share, talk, taste, and listen to your heart’s content!
- Rock out with Won Fu, a high-energy band from Taiwan, showcasing their unique mashup of indie rock, 60s vocal pop, and Mod outfits for one night only in Oakland on their way back from SXSW in Austin; and Scrabbel, a Bay-Area based indie pop band featuring wry-yet-whimsical lyrics and instrumentals, with influences ranging from the Beatles to Bowie;
- Inspire your inner auteur with a film-themed drink menu, and a stop-motion animation station where you can bring your cinematic vision to life;
- Groove to iconic film soundtracks highlighted by DJ Platurn, DJ Delgado and DJ Saurus from local 7" vinyl collective The 45 Sessions;
- Become your own best bartender in a mixology class with SF Mixology, including a theatrical overview of bartending throughout the ages, cocktail trends, prohibition, and its after-effects; cocktail tastings, and instructions on how to move, pour, shake, and strain like a professional bartender;
- Admire an edgy fashion presentation of traditional Vietnamese style with a modern twist by the socially-conscious stylists of Retrofit Republic;
- Vote on your favorite three-inch sticky note masterpieces, inspired by Giant Robot's popular annual Post It Show, or create your own on the spot to add to the competition;
- See the progress on artist Andrew Hem's site-specific mural installation for the exhibition SuperAwesome, opening April 19;
- Don't miss out on the screening of CAAMFest 2014's screwball comedy film AWESOME ASIAN BAD GUYS at the end of the night.
Included with Museum admission. Separate ticket required for screening of AWESOME ASIAN BAD GUYS.
Admission is half-off for adults, free for ages 18 and under. Admission for OMCA Members is always free. Cash bar.
Note: the second band from Taiwan, Go Chic, has cancelled their US Tour due to illness.
Don't miss out on OMCA's other upcoming SuperAwesome Salons during select Friday Nights @ OMCA:
SuperAwesome Salon: Zines & Print Culture
Friday, May 30, 2014, 7–9 pm
SuperAwesome Salon: Anime & Manga
Friday, July 25, 2014, 7–9 pm
Presented in partnership with the Center for Asian American Media and CAAMFest 2014.