Friday Nights @ OMCA
Join OMCA and Off the Grid on 10th Street every Friday for a family-friendly take on a festive night market. This Friday, celebrate the end of September, California Admission Month, or the month in which California was admitted as the 31st state into the Union, with old-timey music, a dog costume contest, and square dancing. Wrap up Oakland Pride Month with the last LGBT History Tour of the year. Savor California beer and wine around the Koi Pond while enjoying live music, art activities, pub trivia, Garden Explorations, and more! Bring the whole family to OMCA for a sampling of the best in Bay Area curbside cuisine—and all that OMCA has to offer!
Please note: the Makers & Tasters Series is on hiatus this week. The series will return with a new program on October 4.
What to expect on September 27:
- Gourmet food trucks from Off the Grid featuring the best in local cuisine
- Local beer and wine specials in the Blue Oak beer garden
- DJ spinning fun dance music from 5 to 6:15 pm
- Family-friendly drop-in workshop with hands-on bridge building activity from 5 to 8 pm
- OMCA Family Storytime with the Oakland Public Library from 6 to 6:30 pm
- Doggie costume contest: old-timey outfits encouraged, in celebration of California Admission month, from 6:15 to 6:30 pm
- Square dance lessons with Oaktown 8s, in honor of California Admissions Month in the amphitheater from 6:30 to 7 pm
- OMCA In-the-Headlines, a new discussion series in the exhibition Above and Below: Stories From Our Changing Bay from 6:30 to 7:30 pm, this week on living with sea level rise with guest speakers Jeremy Lowe, Senior Coastal Geomorphologist and Scientist of Sea Level Rise Adaptation with Environmental Science Associates, and Claire Schoen, filmmaker of RISE: Climate Change and Coastal Communities
- Join a Docent-led LGBT History tour in honor of Oakland Pride Month in the Gallery of California History at 7:30 pm
- Live band Supermodal playing Americana, with Evie Ladin calling square dances from 7 to 9 pm
- Extended hours in the galleries and special exhibitions
- The swanky East Bay Express lounge where you can kick back and take it all in
Cost: Half-price gallery admission for adults, ages 18 and under are free. Admission for Members is always free. Cash bar. Prices vary for Off the Grid food trucks.
Transportation: OMCA is conveniently located one block from the Lake Merritt BART Station. Event parking is available at the Museum garage for a $5 flat fee after 5 pm.
Presented in partnership with Off the Grid: Lake Merritt @ OMCA.
Media support provided by:
Friday Nights @ OMCA art programs are made possible by generous support from the Walter and Elise Haas Fund.