Friday Nights @ OMCA
The Bay Area's most talked-about food truck party comes to Oakland! Join OMCA and Off the Grid on 10th Street every Friday for a family-friendly take on a festive night market. Savor California beer and wine around the Koi Pond while enjoying live music, art activities, and more! The galleries are open late featuring Customizer-in-Residence open studios in the we/customize exhibition. Bring the whole family to OMCA for a sampling of the best in Bay Area curbside cuisine—and all that OMCA has to offer! What to expect on Friday, May 3:
- Local beer and wine specials in the Blue Oak beer garden featuring drink specials Dark & Stormy (Flor de Cana Rum and ginger beer) and Snakebite (Linden Street Common Lager and Crispin Hard Cider), and non-alcoholic beverages including Four Barrel Coffee throughout the month of April
- DJ JuanLove spinning hits from 5 to 6:30 pm
- Folklorico dance workshop with Ballet Folklorico Mexicano from 6:30 to 7 pm
- Dr. Loco's Rockin Jalapeno Band playing Mexican folk fusion from 7 to 9 pm
- Customizer-in-Residence open studio featuring Kevin Blanquies doing video hacking in the we/customize exhibition from 5 to 8 pm
- Makers & Tasters Series: book release and signing of Bay Bridge: History and Design of a New Icon with author Donald MacDonald at 6 and 7 pm
- Family-friendly drop-in workshop from 5 to 8 pm: cute cat nose mask & button making inspired by the Oakland Internet Cat Video Festival and the May 31 reopening of the Gallery of California Natural Sciences
- Extended hours in the galleries and special exhibitions
- The swanky East Bay Express lounge where you can kick back and take it all in
- Screening of “There Will Be Sex” at 7 pm, part one of a film series, “Lost Treasures,” co-presented by California College of the Arts' Curatorial Practice Program and Bay Area Video Coalition (Ages 18+. Film includes strobe lights and sexually explicit material. Gallery admission is required.)
- Twelve gourmet food trucks from Off the Grid featuring the best in local cuisine
Cost: Half-price gallery admission for adults, ages 18 and under are free. Admission for Members is always free. Cash bar. Prices vary for Off the Grid food trucks.
Transportation: OMCA is located one block from the Lake Merritt BART Station. Event parking is available at the Museum garage for a $5 flat fee after 5 pm. Presented in partnership with Off the Grid: Lake Merritt @ OMCA. Sponsored by: Made possible in part through the generous support of the Walter and Elise Haas Fund.