Guide to San Francisco Bay Area Creeks
East & Lion Creeks, 1897
Both the paths of the creek flows and the names of the creeks in East Oakland
have changed over the years.
Originally, the large slough, running through the salt marsh on the
east side of San Leandro Bay and the major tributary creek were named East
Creek. The marsh has now been filled for the construction of the Coliseum
and the industrial areas to the north. The various creeks that flowed into
the East Creek slough have been combined into two flood-control channels.
On the north, Peralta, Courtland, and Seminary Creeks are combined into a
channel bearing the name East Creek Slough. On the south, Lion and Arroyo
Viejo Creeks flow into a channel called Damon Slough. The upland portion
of the creek that had been called East Creek now is called Lion Creek and
empties into Damon Slough (not East Creek Slough). The creek following the
California R.R. north of the Melrose neighborhood is Courtland Creek.
Peralta Creek flows under the name of the Fruitvale neighborhood. Diamond
Creek is now named Sausal Creek.
USGS Topographic Map: Concord, Calif. 1/62,500, 1897; Courtesy of HISTOPO